Australian Wild Law Alliance (AWLA) announces that as of 22nd July they have changed to the Australian Earth Laws Alliance (AELA). AELA’s new logo was created by designer Skeet Booth. The human fingerprint embedded in the leaf is a lovely symbol of our interconnectedness with the non-human world.
AELA’s new website and contact details
- AELA’s website has been updated, including a smooth transition to their new domain name: http://www.earthlaws.org.au
- All of email addresses have been updated – you’ll see the Convenor address has been changed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Their facebook page has also been updated, but the link details remain the same – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Earth-Laws-Alliance/250157398335531
To learn more about why the name change visit AELA’s facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/174249409411306/
Wild Law 2013 Conference: Call for Papers closes this Wednesday, 31 July
If you’d like give a presentation or host a discussion group at this year’s Wild Law Conference, please send us your abstract by 5pm this Wednesday, 31 July. Details about submitting an abstract can be found here: http://www.earthlaws.org.au/wildlaw-conference-2013-brisbane/call-for-papers/
New workshop series – “Exploring Community and Nature’s Rights” –
with CELDF (Community Environmental Legal Defence Fund, USA)
30 September to 4 October 2013
AELA is pleased to provide an update on a workshop and public lecture series which they are hosting in partnership with CELDF from the USA. The workshops will explore different approaches to protecting the rights of local communities and the rights of nature. Further information will be uploaded next week to: http://www.earthlaws.org.au/events/
The workshop schedule is as follows:
Brisbane, Monday September 30th – This workshop will feature Thomas Linzey and Mari Margil from the USA’s Community Environmental Legal Defence Fund (CELDF); Nati Green from Ecuador’s Fundacion Pachamama, Drew Hutton and Annie Kia from the Lock the Gate Alliance and Aidan Ricketts, Southern Cross University and author of the Community Activists Handbook. It will be held at the EcoCentre, Griffith University, from 9.30 to 4.30pm.
Melbourne, Wednesday 2nd October– hosted by the Environmental Defender’s Office, Victoria. Details will be available soon!
Western Australia – Margaret River and Perth, 3rd to 5th October. A series of workshops and public lectures will be held in Margaret River and Perth from Thursday 3rd August to Saturday 5th August. These events are being co-hosted by Eco-Logik International, the Conservation Council of Western Australia and the University of Western Australia. More details soon!
- 3rd August. AWLA’s National Convenor, Michelle Maloney, will be giving a presentation about Earth Laws and the Rights of Nature movement at the Bellingen ‘Festival of Ideas: Water, Lands, Wildlife, Forests”, to be held from 1pm at the Bellingen Memorial Hall, on Saturday 3rd August (this weekend). For more information please contact Caroline Joseph: email@example.com
- 27-29 September – AWLA’s Conference, Brisbane – http://www.earthlaws.org.au/wildlaw-conference-2013-brisbane/
- 30 September – 5 October – “Exploring Community and Nature’s Rights”, Workshop and Seminar Series with the USA’s Community Environmental Legal Defence Fund (www.celdf.org ) – Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth. For more information – watch our website! http://www.earthlaws.org.au/events/
- 5-6 December – Environmental Justice Symposium, Brisbane – more information will be available soon on our website